The recent events in Egypt got me to thinking… “Just how much do people use the Internet?”
Well here are some 2010 usage stats for you: _as I find them interesting_
- 107 trillion emails in 2010
- Approximately 262 billion spam email messages per day
- 255 million websites online in 2010
- Nearly 60% of the web servers are Apache
- 2 billion Internet users worldwide (14% increase from last year)
- Asia makes up the largest share at 42% of the Internet users (North America is #3)
- Internet Explorer still holds the #1 browser title with 46% market share. Firefox and Chrome round out the top 3
- 35 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube each minute.
- 3000 images are uploaded to Flickr each minute
These numbers (and more) were reported in a recent post by Royal Pingdom.
A simple question with a simple answer. YES!
Is my answer weighted because I do search engine optimization. Nope, there is research to back it up. The latest “Generations” study from Pew Internet & American Life Project tells us that search is the number 2 online activity amongst ALL age groups. What does that mean? Well, essentially anyone that uses the Internet, uses search engines. If you don’t rank, you are losing out.
What is number 1? Email. Here is a breakdown of the research by age group.
Without SEO a marketing plan is just incomplete. Don’t miss out on your opportunity to be in front of your target audience when they actively seek.
Note: Keep an eye on the usage of Social Networking sites (“Use SNS” in the above inforgraphic). Social Media is the sexy topic on the internet marketing arena today. And well run social media efforts can have both short and long term benefits to your SEO goals.